Thursday, September 22, 2022

Kelowna Mini-Trip Report Sept. 18 - 21, 2022

I haven't flown or been away since November 2019.  As someone who traveled 2 - 3 times a year, it's been an interesting pause.  I don't like travel as in the actual travel.  I despise airports, luggage, customs, security, shuttles, etc. etc.  The impatience in me hasn't missed that part at all.  My good friend moved to Kelowna in 2020 and it was time to check it out and get away!  I have significant elevated anxiety issues since the pandemic started and this little jaunt was getting me out of my comfort zone, which I truly needed...

I haven't been to Kelowna since the mid-80's and I know it's changed a lot since then.  My memory of it was staying at the Royal Anne hotel and loving a restaurant near it that had one of the best Caesar salads I've eaten, my memory keeps telling me it was a Jewish place and I remember dining on an outside patio.  Well, and then there was a boy or two I remember from there, but that's like around 35+ years ago now!  It's funny what the mind chooses to remember, isn't it?  Anyway, a few people from my work years now live in Kelowna.  

I didn't want to drive up so booked a bus for $200!  I was shocked at that price!  But then my friend said I could fly cheaper so I looked and I got return flights for $138 total.  I used kiwi.com and was nervous as I've never heard of them though I've never heard of the airlines I was flying on either ๐Ÿ˜†.  I flew Lynx there (only small backpack that fit under the seat allowed or had to pay extra for carry on).  I took Air North home and carry-on and personal item was included in price.  It didn't matter though as the only thing I would have brought home was wine and that's not allowed in carry-on.  I was headed for wine country๐Ÿท!!!

Sunday September 18, 2022:

I was already packed, haha.  

I showered and had breakfast.  My friend was driving me to YVR so I met her out front out 8:20am.  I arrived two hours ahead as suggested and was through security with minimal amount of pain.  Flight landed 45 minutes later and I was there.  Welcome to Kelowna.  Below is exiting the airport.

My friend (now will call him "D") was along in just a minute to pick me up and off we went.  Below was my view while being driven around orchard city.

We got to my D's house and were met with yummy nibbles made by his lovely wife (now will call her T).  

After settling in and I quickly unpacked we headed to our first winery which was Summerhill.  It was Happy Hour there.  

We had a tasting which was complimentary.  I really enjoyed the Keter wine so bought a bottle.  They were really pushing it saying it was 50% off at $50.  We sat down and shared a pizza and I had a $5 happy hour priced Keter.  What a deal!!!

Below is our view while seated on the patio:

And below is looking inside the winery from the patio:


Lastly is the pic of our daily feature pizza.  It was like a charcuterie pie.  Very good.  Wonderful atmosphere.  My friends remarked how quiet the town has gotten this past week.  The said normally all summer everywhere is packed so this was good timing for me...


We returned home and D and I took their dog for a walk.  They live a short half block away from Okanagan lake.  It literally took a couple of minutes from their front door to be at the lake.  Below is the short trail to get there.


And then a couple of lake shots.  Beautiful as the sun was just starting to set!



I was delightfully surprised to see such an enticing dinner presented to us upon our return.  Wow, I felt so spoiled.  As I am usually doing all the cooking, this was such a pleasant treat!  Spicy chicken, creamy cucumbers, homemade tzatziki and a delicious healthy kale salad.  Mmm!


We took their dog for a walk around the neighborhood, then had some more wine and watched "The Bear" together.  I love this show!  10/10.  We retired early and surprisingly I fell right asleep and didn't wake till morning.  

Monday, September 19, 2022:

I woke, showered and got downstairs about 9 am.  Again I was greeted with an amazing breakfast.  I was in the hands of great hosts.  ๐Ÿ˜Š  I'm glad I took a picture of T's creation below as I'm stealing it!  So pretty and tasted even better.


D and I drove downtown as I asked him to see the Royal Anne to see what I remembered of it.  T stayed home and was going to watch the Queen's funeral.  




And below is the Royal Anne.  We even had a peek inside but nothing struck a bell in familiarity and I'm sure it's changed over the years.


We stopped for a glass of wine somewhere around here and then headed back home to pick T up.  We were off to Frind winery which was gorgeous!  I really liked it.  



Roast chicken, bacon, mushrooms, basil pesto sauce, sweetie drop peppers,
balsamic glaze

We sat outside and had a bottle  of wine and pizza from their wood fired oven.  The owner Markus Frind owned "PlentyOfFish.com" previously and sold it for US$575-million!  



And then we were off to Quails' Gate Winery.



We had a glass of wine and toured the grounds after.  Below is where we sat.







Next we went to walk around the grounds at Mission Hill.  They told me this winery has the premium real estate as far as location goes in West Kelowna.  






And then for dinner we went to the El Dorado which had a terrific lakeside patio for sunset.  




Fish & Chips:  Fresh British Columbia Ling Cod, Next Jens gluten-free batter,
creamy coleslaw, homemade remoulade 1 pcs $24 

The El Wedge Caesar Salad :  Romaine hearts, housemade croutons, double smoked bacon lardons, white anchovy, roasted garlic Caesar dressing, parmesan reggiano


We returned home and watched "The Bear".  T went to sleep while we stayed up and drank more wine (on top of the Old Fashioned cocktails I had at dinner) and I haven't drank that much in a while.  It was just before midnight when we went down and I went lights out!

Tuesday, September 27, 2022:  I awoke feeling a little worse for wear and tear...  I was greeted with a healthy yogurt, fruit, granola bowl which I was thankful for.  


We were off to Naramata today.  I had asked to see Laughing Stock vineyard.  I was gifted a bottle years ago and loved it.  I could never find it in Vancouver though I got lucky at a restaurant once.  It was by appointment only but they were there when we called so told us to come on in for a tasting.  First off I loved Naramata town, it was this cozy little summer spot that I would love to stay in and visit.  It was really warm today. 
 


Below is our view from where we sat outside enjoying our tasting.  I'm not going to lie, the tasting was not first on my list today and initial sips curdled my tummy...



We tried to go to a couple different restaurants at the Wineries for lunch but none turned out to be open.  We tried Poplar Grove and Serenity that I remember but they may have a been a couple more.  My friends decided we'd go to Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards at Greata Ranch in Peachland and made a reservation for us at their bistro.  It was another scenic setting.


T's Kaarage Chicken Burger

D's Green Curry with Prawns

Fish Tacos

I had the fish tacos.  They were great but even better with the Brut Sparkling we drank.  After lunch I started to feel alive again, tired, but definitely better... We went home for a bit to check on the dog then said we'd hit one last winery before calling it a day.  We went to Spearhead which had another lovely setting.  




Above was our view from the table.  We went home and had nibbles on the patio.  I got their dog in the pic so I'm happy.  ๐Ÿ˜Š


And T made her own dough to craft a tomato, goat cheese galette together.  Yum.  I felt so pampered.  



We watched a couple more episodes of "The Bear" and then everyone went to sleep early.  I had my alarm set for 7:30am.

Wednesday, September 21, 2022:

I was ready and on time to leave at 9 am.  It took us a half hour to YLW and I said my goodbyes until next time.  I was received by the airport again:


I was through security pretty quick so had over an hour to kill before boarding.  I stood in line for White Spot restaurant which is a place I took my son to every payday when he was a child for years. We still go together but maybe only once a year or so now.  Anyway, I ordered eggs benny and thoroughly enjoyed them.  I had a glass of champagne and it was only $7.  Unheard of at airports!  


I saw a shop by my gate selling wine and had a sign outside of it saying "if you don't have to go through security again, you can bring it home".  I guess I could have grabbed a bottle after all.  Anyway, then my gate announced there was a delay due to an broken aircraft on the runway.  We were about 10 minutes late boarding when they announced everything was fine.  I was home exactly the time I was supposed to be, 12:20pm.  As I was walking to catch the skytrain home, I saw they had Rideshare pickup at the airport now.  That was new since my last trip so I summoned an Uber.  It cost me $25 pre-tip.  I was home by 1pm.

I had a great time, it was nice to get away and feel like a person again.  While there were no masks anywhere other than airport, I felt okay as we sat outside and didn't hover in crowds anywhere.  I hope to drive to Kelowna some time so I can cart a bunch of wine home with me.  I guess we'll see...and Naramata captured my heart.  I'd like to stay there for a day or two as well.   This link has all the facts about B.C. wines and I found it interesting.  I thought the telescope "wine bottle" was clever below.  


And finally, this meme makes me laugh because it's really how I felt before this trip:



No comments:

Post a Comment