Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Huatulco Trip Report - Oct. 30 - Nov. 12, 2022

First real vacay since 2019!  I hope I don't have to mention "covid" again throughout this report, other than my travel insurance covered it.  🤞 Normally we book Huatulco flights nine/ten months ahead but this year was different.  I couldn't even find direct flights until mid-August and then the prices were four times as much as usual.  I got lucky and saw a fare sale from AeroMexico which prompted WestJet to drop some fares too.  It took some time to play around get the cheap flights, but eventually through Expedia,  I was able to nab 1-stop getting there (AeroMexico) and direct flight home (WestJet) staying at Princess Mayev, ocean view - 2 beds for $2600 CAD for two total, ALL IN for 12 nights.  I did have to chop two days off our trip to get that price though.  My son kindly paid to get "exit row" seats for us on our return flight home.  

We were sure happy with $1300 each and I was happy getting almost 2 weeks there instead of the week only I've done so far...  I've been to Huatulco twice before, once at the Castillo and last time at Villa Blanca.  My son (32) has never been here and accompanied me this time.  We usually do an annual trip together and this was it after skipping the last 2 years.  Anyway, I really wanted to return to Villa Blanca for the location, but decided to try something different in the end.  I would have stayed at Mision de los Arcos in La Crucecita if I had my way but son wanted a pool and I couldn't argue.  He reasoned that we may want some lazy days at the hotel...a lazy day for him might be lounging by the pool but for me it's probably just sleeping it off in bed...😉  

Sunday, October 30, 2022:

Flight departure was 11:15 pm this evening.  We were supposed to arrive at 6 am in Mexico city and depart at 11:25 am for Huatulco. We summoned a taxi for the airport about 7:30 pm.  We learned we would not have to pick up our luggage in Mexico city so that was a bonus.  

The flight was fine, they even served a HOT meal (ham & cheese sandwiches with salad) and free alcohol beverages!  I have not seen this in years of travel now... The flight was full and neither of us was able to sleep so were both pretty tired and irritable upon arrival...

Note:  Before this report goes on I wanted to mention that there is a LOT of food in it - oodles of "tasting and trying"...  We wanted to experience it all so just let 'er rip; however I unfortunately admit that soooo much was wasted as there was no possible way to eat it all.  I dislike wasting food so was bothered by this...

Monday, October 31, 2022:

Well, all I can say about arrival was that it was an utter shit show!  I don't know how many different planes all landed at the same time, but it was a literal zoo with a cacophony of NOISE (shouting, coughing, sneezing, hushed chatter, laughter, etc. etc).  We were steered like cattle and not speaking Spanish made it near impossible to understand what was going on.  I said I wouldn't talk about covid but having not had it yet; for true fear of it, today was it...

After an hour or so, they opened up a new line which we were standing at for US and Canadians so we got to cut the queue and our wait time.  Immigration no longer gave out the yellow tourist cards.  I learned later that they stamp your passport now with how many days you can stay.  Ours said 180.  I had forgotten a printed itinerary and had no Wi-Fi on my phone so I was stressing but the agent was very nice and just waved us through saying it wasn't a problem after asking our trip details.  

We found a restaurant for breakfast so we could catch our bearings.  Most of the staff were dressed for "Day of the Dead" or "Día de Muertos".  

Breakfast was very overpriced ($91 CAD), not very good food and there was no way we could sit there for 4 hours.  Below was their version of a "Croque Madame".  I was hoping to start my next food journey on a more positive note but I realize we were in an airport...

The next hurdle was trying to figure out how to get to our gate.  I won't drone on about it, but towards the end I nearly broke down in tears and had a melt down.  We finally found it and just as I was nodding off, my head literally nodding up and down, we were called to queue to board.  It literally felt like an eternity but I know it wasn't.  Everyone around us looked rested and chipper and I looked and felt 100 years old...

An hour later we were in Huatulco with all our winter clothes on.  It was 31°C the pilot announced to us and it was HOT.  Our luggage showed up and I had hired a local guy to pick us up.  He was there holding a sign. Price was 550 pesos, I gave him 650 ($44.20 CAD).  We arrived at our hotel...


It is all uphill from the entrance.  


All stairs, no elevators.  Check in was okay and we did the usual charades with no one speaking much English. We managed to sort it out and someone carried our luggage up and got us a fridge.  There were no towels in the room and no one answered the front desk on the phone.  My son trudged back down the stairs and came back with beach towels.  He went back down again and they said they'd send the maid.  We got the towels and then noticed the safe was locked and didn't work.  So back down again.  The front desk came up and fixed it.  I'll show two shots below, the first is what we liked about the room best, the 2nd is the reason we'd never return.  It grossed me out so much that I couldn't get over it.  

Room with a View!

This was looking above in the shower!  It was worse to look at in person and I guessed it was black mold!

We unpacked a little and showered.  We were really hungry so went to the restaurant to eat lunch, but it was 2:30 now.  We decided to splurge and have a nice meal as defeated as we were feeling.


The restaurant has a beautiful view and we sat overlooking it.  


The first call of order below was:  Margarita Mayev - Sandia with 8 years old Mezcal, Frosty with Worm Salt.  $ 180 pesos ($12.25 CAD).  


Nachos Xima w/ Melted Manchego Cheese,  Guacamole & Arrachera Beef (100 grs) $200 pesos ($13.62 CAD).  These were very good!

Shrimps 4 x 4 (16 Shrimps) - Delicious Sampling of Shrimp (Hand Breaded,
Savoury Garlic, Garlic Grilled and in Devil´s Sauce $450 pesos ($30.65 CAD)

I learned that I should have ordered these at a beach setting and not here once I saw someone order them at Playa Santa Cruz.  These were just okay and I wouldn't recommend.  Service here was always pretty good and servers all genuinely nice.  We went and crashed both falling immediately asleep!  I think we slept till 8 or 9 pm and then decided to just eat in the restaurant for dinner and then call it an evening as we still hadn't had a good sleep yet.  

Son had this:  Mexican Sausage Stuffed Potato (All potatoes are cut into squares w/Cream,Cream Cheese, Butter, Gouda Cheese & Parsley $100 pesos ($6.80 CAD)

Cheese Wings $130 pesos ($8.85 CAD)  We ordered these because we were curious what cheese wings meant?  It meant blue cheese.  These were good.  We did not enjoy the Mexican "Buffalo" wings we tried here...

Mixed Tlayuda $130 pesos ($8.85 CAD)

Mixed Tlayuda Insides - refried beans & Mexican sausage???

I could barely try more than a bite or two and we took it to the fridge though it never got eaten.  It was the last time I brought food to the fridge.  Lastly my son had chocolate cake which he said was very good.

Chocolate Cake $65 pesos ($4.42 CAD)

Son mentioned he saw small bugs on the bathroom counter.  He really didn't like that so I said we'd report it tomorrow...

Tuesday, November 1, 2022:

We awoke early feeling well rested and made the short walk to "Super Che".  I wasn't able to purchase anything from Duty Free at either airport coming here (long story I won't bother relaying) and we wanted to stock up on some wine, water, etc. etc.  We taxied back to the hotel $232.00 CAD later.  A young local lady dressed in a "Tommy's Spa" outfit offered to help us trek up the 3 flights with our heavy goods.  We said no as she was just a petite young lady and then I ended up booking a massage for my son who lugged it all on his own in a couple of trips.  Swedish Massage 50 minutes was $800 pesos or $54.40 CAD pre tip.  We set it up for Monday in the room.  Off we went to downtown La Crucecita.  


Locals were busy making their displays for the "Day of the Dead" festivities that would go on in the evening.  








We decided we'd go for brunch at Los Portales.


Son had breakfast which was made to order and I tried a Tlayuda again to compare with last nights.  I decided this dish is just not for me, but I have tried 3 times now.  I actually thought last nights was better and just picked at this one today.



When we were done the waiter put our plates to one counter but I watched him carry the salsa and Pico de Gallo to another counter where food was stored.  He scraped both bowls back into the containers!!!  OMG, I was appalled at what I was watching.  And sure enough, the next table seated got their salsa and Pico from the containers he scraped ours back into!  I wouldn't eat here again.  In fact, I couldn't eat salsa and chips from many other restaurants we dined at because of what I saw...

It was pretty hot out so we made our way back to our hotel to try out the pool.  It was always as warm as bath water our entire stay.



In the evening we went back to town to check out the festivities.  I had read about a hamburger place called Bonanza on Cocotillo.  We decided to check it out for dinner.  Below, it's on the left and the next picture is the view from our table where the burgers are made to order:



The owner was very nice and spoke good English.  Son ordered the Bonanza burger which was huge, about a half pound and had an egg on it.  I got the surf & turf which had shrimp on it.  My son polished his off, and I ate it bunless to attempt to finish.  I liked "Mama Elsa's" burgers better but I never got to taking my son there to compare...



There was a Día de los Muertos concert going on in the park and it was packed with people.  Mostly the children were dressed up, much like Halloween at home and were collecting treats at the shops.  



Below are the current taxi fares.  We caught one and thought we'd go check out El Cajun at Marina Park Plaza for a drink.


I realize now that we never actually ate or drank at El Cajun as there are two restaurants and we sat at the other one both times we went. I also learned it's pronounced Cahoon.  


Anyway, my son had a very pretty chocolate lava cake dessert and it is in a lovely setting.  Our server Daniel told me the condos located there are Canadian though I'm not sure exactly what that meant...my son said he thought Daniel said the restaurant was owned by Canadians?



Above was the view from our table.  We took another taxi to the hotel though it was very walkable.  We retired for the evening.

Wednesday, November 2, 2022:

Today we were off to spend the day at my favorite beach, Maguey.  Son had some French toast before we left the hotel and it was very beautifully plated and picture worthy.


At Maguey we were greeted by Jose who luckily worked at where I wanted to go which was El Pescador.  It's where we sat last time and enjoyed it very much.  They've doubled in size now as they took over the place next door.  Bahia Maguey was as scenic as I remember...



We spent all day paddling around in the water and when Jose brought today's catch to the table, I decided to try the red snapper.  He said how good it was in their wood fired oven and suggested garlic butter sauce on one half and non-spicy guajillo sauce on the other.  How could I refuse?  I asked him for the smallest one.


It turns out, that was $1350 pesos or a whopping $93.00 CAD!  Presentation was nice when it arrived but we barely dented this.  We tried to eat as much fish as possible but I wouldn't be surprised if it went into their soup the next day, ewwww!  😆

Tostadas, Lime & Spicy Salsa


Son tried the flan from a beach vendor.

Needless to say, all our cash disappeared here, $165 CAD and we only had enough money to taxi back.  Jose did remind us I could use a credit card, haha - thanks.  We spent the entire day here so had enough time and got back to the hotel around dinner time.  By the time we showered and were ready it was about 9 pm.  We went to the Quinta Bella (pronounced Beya) hotel to check out "Otto" restaurant.  When I was last here Quinta Bella didn't have any restaurants that I know of, now they have 5!!!


English was spoken very well here by our waiter so ordering and asking questions was not a problem.  Service was 100% and actually so was the food.  This might be my favorite meal I had in Huatulco this visit.  


The sourdough bread above was one of the best I ever tasted though my picture is lacking.  I can't remember any of the accompaniments except for the one on the top right which was butter with cheese.  It was one of the most addictive tastes I've tried.  Just YUM.  

$9.65 CAD

$11.00 CAD


$21.30 CAD

$17.55 CAD

So, the portions were perfect but yet we were stuffed.  It was because everything was so rich and decadent.  Below they brought us a granita to palette cleanse.


Son managed to devour a dessert and it also lived up to all expectations.

$9.65 CAD

We thought this meal delivered great value as well.  If there was anything to complain about it was how loud the noise level was inside.  There was a table of six gentleman enjoying their "guys" evening but we could hear nothing else but their deafening conversation in English.  It was quite pathetic too when the over middle-aged gents started arguing about who the pretty young server would marry out of them all.  I couldn't help but roll my eyes 🤮.  We waddled out of there and went back to the room for the evening. 

Thursday, November 3, 2022:

Today was another favorite of mine, Sea Soul Beach Club.  We walked there at opening time (10 am) and got a day pass for $520 pesos each ($36 CAD) and that included a $200 peso credit ($13.75 CAD) each to anywhere on the resort.  Since we were last there they've added an entrance to Chahue beach which has a coffee stand and a deli bistro.  Clio's restaurant didn't open till 1 pm this visit so no breakfast any more except at the deli.  


They also had "Day of the Dead" displays there.  We met a family from Minnesota who said they had gone to Santa Maria for the festivities.  I tried messaging with a local guide on facebook to find a really good celebration but he never responded back.  I know now to go to Santa Maria as another couple also did this and said it was the highlight of their trip.  Sorry we didn't know about it, but next time!



We ate before Clio opened.  Had a couple of sandwiches from the bistro.


This was my son's first time to an infinity pool and he enjoyed it very much.  It was cooler than the pool at our hotel as well.  


Early afternoon we got a snack from Clio's.  Both were just the right size, just a few spoonful's each.  

SEAFOOD & COCONUT SOUP / SOPA DE MARISCOS AL COCO
$ 165 pesos ($11.40 CAD)
Shrimp, clam, mussel, catch of the day, coconut milk

Some sort of Banana Flambé with Vanilla Ice Cream $80 pesos ($5.50 CAD)



Below was interesting to me upon departure.  I tend to be more of a pessimist but all the people who surround me are optimists and are my choice of friends...  I'm working on becoming half-full though!  😊


We spent the entire day at Sea Soul and wandered off to "Super Che" as we were getting low on sun screen already and our tummies were starting to feel unwell.  This was over $70 CAD below!!


I had a swig of the Pepto when we got back.  We noticed that someone had been in and sprayed to get rid of the bugs as some of the furniture was misplaced.  Dinner tonight was at Rocoto.  This is fave of mine and I've visited each trip.  They moved to Cocotilo street downtown now and I haven't been there yet.  Claudia, the chef/owner  didn't recognize me but it has been 3 long years since my last trip.  The starter bread was the same as always with hot and hotter salsas, below:


Caprese Salad

Tortilla Shrimp Soup

Beef Tenderloin with Bacon & Red Wine Sauce

Crab Empanada, Fish & Beef Tacos

Almond Churros with salty Caramel Sauce ...

...and Vanilla Ice Cream

Food might have been the best of all times I've eaten there.  And that tortilla soup is my absolute favorite ever.  No other tortilla soup can compare.  We were seated on the patio and a rain storm so fierce eventually moved us indoors for dessert.  The restaurant was now closed and only one other table remained.  They called for taxi but because of the rain we were told the wait would be 20 more minutes.  Claudia offered to drive us home.  As we were leaving, the cab pulled up.  Back to the hotel and off to sleep though it was not a good one and both of our stomachs were causing trouble again...  

Friday, November 4, 2022:

The morning did not start well for me, numerous trips to the bathroom and and a garbage can under my head.  I messaged the boat tour operator and he said I would have to forfeit half the payment.  My son was marginally better, he wasn't throwing up at least.  I glugged some more Pepto, slept for another hour and felt my tummy had settled.  We decided to go as I still would have to find a way to pay him and I really wanted my son to see San Agustin.  Off we went to Santa Cruz marina.  


The boat was beautiful if just for the fact it wasn't a panga!  We were joined by 3 other couples, two of which were from Vancouver!  The cost for us was $2125 pesos ($145.75 CAD).  I tipped $800 pesos ($55 CAD).  Off we went to San Agustin to snorkel.  Son and I had our own snorkels/masks and paid $100 pesos each for fins.  Below, my son caught a fish!  That was definitely a highlight for him.


They said it was black tuna.  They also said they would make ceviche with it when we had lunch.  We reached San Agustin and the water was so beautiful and clear.  I snorkeled with the guide out to the rocks and saw some fish though none were colorful unfortunately.


The ladder to the boat was difficult and I gashed my foot open when getting back on.  A lady who had told me about "Treda" earlier also helped out with a bandage.  She said it was better than Imodium as it had the antibiotic in it as well.   Both my son and I were feeling really unwell at this point, so the lady offered me one of her Treda pills.  My son declined so I took it.  It settled my tummy but I was nauseous again.  I put my head down and decided we'd have to leave at Maguey when we arrived.  We stopped at Playa la India first.  When we reached Bahia Maguey, we moved to the back of the restaurant (Ay Caray) to catch a taxi.  The tour operator Porfirio instead drove us back to our hotel.  He advised that the boat we had been on was his brothers.  The crew were hired.  Back at the hotel I slept for a couple hours and felt better, my son read his "Witcher" book...

Dinner tonight was at Cafe Viena.  I have always wanted to try this Austrian place but it never worked out before.  It's moved and is at Plaza Chahue close to Marina Park Plaza.  We sat out on their lovely patio.

French Onion Soup $100 pesos ($7.00 CAD)

“Wiener Schnitzel” with parsley potatoes
WITH MUSHROOM COGNAC PEPPER CREAM GRAVY $250 pesos ($17.00 CAD)

Homemade Ravioli with Mahi Mahi in White Wine Cream Sauce $300 pesos ($21 CAD)

Crepes with Chocolate Sauce and Vanilla Ice Cream $100 pesos  ($7.00 CAD)

This meal was absolutely delicious.  My son swooned over the homemade pasta and wanted a plate full of them.  The schnitzel was divine as well.  Great value, great service, great setting.  Could not ask for a more enjoyable evening!  We taxied to a pharmacy where I picked up the item that saved my trip!


I took some and off to sleep...

Saturday, November 5, 2022:

Treda to the rescue!  Today we spent the day at playa Santa Cruz but went to the Farmer's Market first.  



We perused the vendors, I was looking for a new purse as the humidity had made mine peel to the point it was embarrassing to carry it around.  


I ended up buying homemade soap but found a purse at the Mercado close by.  We made our way to the beach.  


We decided to try a new place.  An English speaking server talked us into it.  Him and my son got along well and spent a lot of the day chatting.  The had just built an upstairs so the view was nice and we sat up there.



The shrimp was very good here.  I was pleasantly surprised and happy with it.  These were the cheapest, covered with cheese.  I think it was $280 pesos ($19.20 CAD).


Below was my first and only "Campechana" (seafood cocktail) of the trip.  It was tasty but sweet and better with some hot sauce.




We spent the day and headed back to our hotel around dinner time.  We decided we'd go to Alfredo's for dinner this evening.  


We hoped to hear some live music.  There was music but was a solo artist and much like karaoke.  It was quiet here tonight and only a handful of people as well.  Alfredo came in with his lovely wife and daughter for a bit, but he didn't remember me either.  

Pina Colada & Lime Margarita (no sugar)

Jalapeno Poppers

The poppers were the best dish of the evening.  Son had some fettucine alfredo (haha) and I had fish tacos.  Both were surprisingly disappointing, I just ate the fish that were just tiny pieces I had to dig for.  Son said the garlic bread was good.


On the patio beside us was a "lit" couple who after a couple bottles of wine started to "drunk argue".  When the music started, the man dug in his backpack and cracked a bottle of champagne that they both poured into their glasses.  Then they started to dance.  Yup, that pretty much cleared the house and my son and I followed.  We walked around town for bit.  I found a pharmacy to buy bandages.  That would have been a problem without wifi and translator, but I had one on so I was able to score them by pointing at my foot.  Curitas, they are called in Spanish.  


We called it a night and returned to the hotel.

Sunday, November 6, 2022:

Today was our lazy day, no beaches, just rest and taking it easy.  We went out for brunch at locals place I wanted to try.  It right beside "Super Che" but we didn't know this until we cabbed there.

Santa Clara Country Restaurant

I saw this place in a food guide and it was on my to-do list.  I came for the Chile relleno.  They had an English menu, that surprised me.  They also had a buffet but everything was covered up and the signs in Spanish.


$11.30 CAD

$9.00 CAD

And I finally got to have a mole tamale that she got from the buffet for me.  


My son was thrilled they had horchata on the menu too.  Our server seemed thrilled with him.  I asked him if he realized she was flirting with him.  He just blushed.  😊  She asked me if I was his mom and then how old he was?  I told her 32 and she squealed in delight and said, "I'm 29!"  I laughed and told her that he was single (we're using a translator now).  Anyway, they exchanged phone info and back at the hotel, my son arranged a date with her on her day off...

That evening, also right beside "Super Che" was a fish 'n chips place I wanted to check out that was on my "to-do" list.  


I started with the small shrimp cocktail below and found it tasty.  $100 pesos ($7.00 CAD).


Fish & Chips (Mahi Mahi) $220 pesos ($15.00 CAD)

Son had a fish burger and one of my pieces of fish.  This was really good, but we both agreed SALTY.  If it was less salty, it would have been heavenly.  Nice service and great value.  That sums up the night pretty much...

Monday, November 7, 2022:

Son had the massage booked at 11 am today so we slept in and had breakfast in the hotel restaurant Xima.  I enjoyed mine very much but I don't know what it was now!  Actually, looking at what my son had at Santa Clara appears the same, so possibly it was Huevos Motuleños?  I don't know, I remember it had chicken in it though...


I hung out until noon when I figured the massage should be done.  I had thought it was weird they do massages in the room but they keep tables at the hotel so just brought it with them.  Son said it was a very good massage and he used the translator to relay that to her.  He also said the table was very sturdy so it was fine.  We had a day pass booked for Quinta Bella pool so walked over.  It was $200 pesos each ($14 CAD each) till 5 pm.  That included nothing but the pool use with towels.  


Better shot of Otto restaurant in the day.

Rustico restaurant is up the stairs


We got an appetizer each and wow were they delicious.  Fried shrimp taco and a tuna, ponzu sauce tostada.  We saw a couple on the boat tour in the other pool so we waded in to say hello.  They said the boat crew didn't make the ceviche for them so that was disappointing.  Anyway, we chatted with them till it was time to get out and go at 5 pm.

For dinner we ended up at La Chicitana which is in La Crucecita above a hotel.  This will become a regular spot for sure and the setting was amazing.  


The owner's son was the host and had fairly good English so it was nice to chat with him and here his family story and love of Huatulco.  He was easy on the eyes too.  😉


Son had some kind of loaded baked potato, below and said it was one of the best things he ate in Huatulco!


I had capellini with garlic shrimp and wow, there was so much garlic, I'm sure I reeked for days...it was delicious though.  In fact for value, setting and diverse menu options, this restaurant was a shining star.  So happy we landed here.


Son enjoyed the Nutella Cheesecake

We walked back to centro of town and taxied home.  Son commented he could smell garlic...

Tuesday, November 8, 2022:

Today's plan was Arrocito beach in Tangolunda.  Taxi was $100 pesos ($7.00 CAD) here.  The driver was nice and spoke fairly good English so we booked a trip to Zipolite, Mazunte and San Agustinillo on Friday for $1800 pesos ($125.00 CAD).  There is only one place to sit on the beach and they charge $200 pesos for the table & chairs.  At first he tried to upcharge me $250 pesos.  He did offer if we sat back a row and ate a meal he would wave the cost.  We were the only people here.  There were a few others on the beach but no one at this place.  




We had a coffee and a beer for another $100 pesos before son decided he didn't want to stay here.  The water was rough today and it was rocky on entrance so I told him we could go to Maguey again if he liked, and he did.  We went back to "El Pescador" and spent the day there.  Jose told us even the locals have to pay to sit on Arrocito beach.  Well Maguey was rough today too and there was lots of debris floating in the water.  It was not its usual serene self.  Anyway, we had fun chatting with the staff at El Pescador and had another enjoyable day.  We told them when leaving we'd see them next year.


Below, I enjoyed looking at the pineapple drinks next door, though the cherry eye was missing by the time I took this picture.


Dinner this evening was at a place I have dined at before L'artilleria.  Otto, the owner is from Mexico city and does street food from there.  His English is good and his new restaurant location also on Cocotillo street is beautiful!  


I went to his place when he first opened and was happy to see him doing well with a full staff.  As we did last time, we just let him choose for us.

Guacamole $110 pesos ($7.60 CAD)

This was a nightly special he suggested of pork carnitas tacos.  He raved how it would melt in our mouths and it did.  The pickled onions were super spicy but took the dish over the top.  Our favorite bite of the evening!

Queso Fundido w/Bacon $125 pesos ($8.60 CAD)

More pork tacos he recommended.  We didn't enjoy these, I think because of the sour marinade.  (Hopefully that's what the sour taste was, lol!)

Homemade Cheesecake by Otto.  My son said it was very good.

We departed at closing time and had to get up early in the morning.

Wednesday, November 9, 2022:

We had to call today to see if we could get a day pass at Secrets at 8 am.  This was the third time the front desk had called for me and each time we were told something different.  Anyway, they said we could come today.  We got ready and got a cab.  $100 pesos ($7.00 CAD).  Secrets is the furthest resort on that strip.  When we pulled up we had to provide ID to enter.  My son's was in the safe back in the room.  There was no way in hell he was letting us in without it, so we had to turn around and go back for it.  Taxi driver made $350 ($25 CAD) pesos that trip.  The security gate held our ID's and we made our way to Reception.  Below was the price for the day ($202.00 CAD, my credit card tells me):


Entrance to Secrets Resort

The Beach at Secrets, it looks serene here but it was rough and red flag out


I'm going to say that I'm happy I experienced this resort this way and not as a guest.  This was the most expensive place to stay in Huatulco when I was looking.  I wouldn't do AI anyway in Huatulco but I did wonder what made it so special.  In my eyes, nothing.  It was just the same as any other AI I've been to.  If I was paying and got served what was in the buffet, I'd have been furious.  No restaurants were open for lunch, not a one.  I observed lots of drunk people in the swim up bar and that is not my kind of vacation any longer... We didn't even stay till 5 pm, we were bored silly by 4 pm so left.  To each their own...




I guess we should have called a taxi inside the resort but we thought they would when we picked up our ID's at the security booth, NOPE.  Anyway, one driver told another and we got out of there in about a half hour.  

Tonight was my son's date.  I grabbed a soup/sandwich from our restaurant and settled into some Netflix on my laptop.  The hotel makes an excellent chicken soup!!!  They had dinner in the restaurant and then went on a double-decker bus tour of Huatulco.  They both said they had a wonderful time though communication with the language barrier was difficult.  He showed me this picture and I thought it was appropriate for the report and they look fabulous.  😊


Thursday, November 10, 2022:

Today was La Entrega.  We packed our snorkels and took a taxi over.  The statue below is at the entrance and you can read about it here if you're interested.  


The place we chose to sit at was one with WiFi.  




This beach is always busy with families.  I didn't see the same amounts of fish as last time and couldn't help but wonder if the coral is suffering here?  


Below, son had chicken quesadillas and I had guacamole.  




Above is some plantains with crema we ordered from a beach vendor out of curiosity.  It looked better than it ate.  It got really busy with tables being set up on the beach and we decided it was time to depart.  


Dinner tonight was at a place I've been wanting to check out.  It's called Che Dieguito and is also by "Super Che".  


It is an Argentinian steakhouse.  My son's new girl friend was also going to join us.  I ordered a platter for two minus the sweet breads.  




Son and I picked at this but honestly the meat was very tough and hard to chew.  The sausages were okay but I wasn't thrilled.  They didn't have baked potatoes either which we wanted instead of fries.  


Even the delicious chimichurri sauce above couldn't save this meal.  Anyway, that ends my pics and details of the night.  I lost my son for a while with his girl and finally he came running back and apologized at how long he took, time got away from him.  We retired to the room as we had an early day tomorrow.

Friday, November 11, 2022:

The alarm went off at 7:30 am and I started to get ready as the taxi was to pick us up at 8:30 for our road trip.  Immediately I knew something was wrong again.  I took more "Treda" and puttered around hoping I'd feel better but by 8:30 when he messaged he was here, I knew I could never chance being on the road for that long today.  My son went down and gave him $500 pesos ($35 CAD) for his trouble and he seemed happy with that.  I also got a message from my son's new girl friend:


Hmm, that was a bit of a red flag and yet the "Hallmark Christmas Movie" half of me thought of love at first sight and a perfect romance.  Not for me to know yet, so I guess we'll see what happens after we return home...

I slept and the meds seemed to help again, so we went to Playa La Bocana (the surfer's beach) for lunch, $100 pesos taxi fare.  




We ate at Casa Bocana which was a lovely outdoor restaurant located in a hotel a block off the beach.


$9.00 CAD


Wagyu Beef Burger

Oaxacan Dessert (I'm guessing there was corn in it, lol)

Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream

Wow!  What a great place and fantastic food!!  We applauded the chefs who were very gracious.  Couldn't ask for a finer lunch and I've never tasted anything like the Oaxacan dessert.  It wasn't very sweet which was great for me as I never order dessert but couldn't resist today.


We went to "Super Che" and bought my son's new girl friend a gift, chocolates and a candle.  We returned to the hotel and packed.  I took more "Treda".  I couldn't decide where to have our last dinner and then I remembered Rustico at the Quinta Bella.  That was my son's first choice but it was closed when we ended up at Otto.  I msg'd and got a reservation for that evening.  Below was our lovely view from our table.



We ordered, 2 appetizers, 2 mains and all was well until it started pouring rain again.  The facility isn't set up to handle it and we were ushered inside and everyone was crammed together in one room now.  The other restaurant had diners on the beach and outside and staff ran putting up shelters and grabbing umbrellas to get everyone inside.  It was something to behold at how efficiently they all moved.  After a very long wait, all of our food arrived at once.  This didn't work out very well and I think the most food was wasted this night of all our dining.  I was embarrassed.  

Burrata Cheese $200 pesos ($14 CAD)

Fried Calamari $260 pesos ($18.00 CAD)

Stone Oven Pasta opened tableside $390 pesos ($27.00 CAD)

This was Linguine with Giant Shrimp, Pomodoro sauce and Fresh Basil  covered with Neapolitan dough and stone oven baked.

Beef Lasagna $320 pesos ($22.00 CAD)

Our server seemed surprised at how little we ate and asked a few times if we wanted it packed up.  The food was cold when it arrived and while all of it was very good, the rain had started to drip on our table and the floors had to be swept to keep the water from pooling.  It was becoming uncomfortable to sit there as well.  Neither of us entertained dessert and just rode out the storm.  When it ended, we carefully left the premises trying not to slip as I was in flip flops.  I took more "Treda" and slept.

Saturday, November 12, 2022, A.K.A. Last Day:

Our flight was scheduled for 6:20 pm and the hotel had extended check out till 1 pm.  I woke and took more "Treda" and we headed to Santa Clara restaurant so my son could say good-bye to his new friend.  She had told me she wanted me to try a chili dish but my tummy rumbled at the thought.  I told her I had to decline and ordered a club sandwich which I didn't eat much of.  Son got pancakes that were very good he said.  The only picture I took was of a special that looked good, if you're feeling good, haha.  


My son said his good-byes as I awkwardly tried not to look at them.  The taxi was waiting for us and I kept sneaking peaks to see if they were done with whatever they were doing.  😉  Then I'd quickly look away and back at the driver.  We both broke out laughing!  They seemed to hear that so my son came over.  We checked out and stored our luggage.  


We went to what I thought was El Cajun and then realized it was not, we had been eating at "Sabor a Mi".  Daniel was working so we stayed anyway.  About 3:30 we got a taxi, grabbed our luggage and headed to airport.  $300 pesos ($21.00 CAD)


The flight home was crappy, literally.  I visited the bathroom 7 times.  I took "Treda" at the airport and on the plane but I was cramped the whole 6 hour flight.  We arrived home about 1 am our time...

Finally, this epic write will end!  I didn't do it there as my laptop was sooo slow I couldn't be patient enough and the chair I had to sit on was utterly painful!  Anyway, there is so much to love about Huatulco.  As a food journey, this visit did not disappoint in the slightest.  And visiting with my son was wonderful.  We bonded even closer.  I look forward to returning next year.  And now, I'm signing off!  



1 comment:

  1. Great overview, certainly some dishes I have never tried and catch of the day looked very fresh. The tortilla soup looked so good, that and chili relleno are my favs.

    ReplyDelete